Cataplexy is episodic loss of muscle function, ranging from slight weakness such as limpness at the neck or knees, sagging facial muscles, weakness at the knees often referred to as “knee buckling”, or inability to speak clearly, to a complete body collapse. Episodes may be triggered by sudden emotional reactions such as laughter, anger, surprise, or fear, and may last from a few seconds to several minutes. The person remains conscious throughout the episode. In some cases, cataplexy may resemble epileptic seizures. Usually speech is slurred and vision is impaired (double vision, inability to focus), but hearing and awareness remain normal. Cataplexy also has a severe emotional impact on narcoleptics, as it can cause extreme anxiety, fear, and avoidance of people or situations that might elicit an attack. Cataplexy is generally considered to be unique to narcolepsy and is analogous to sleep paralysis in that the usually protective paralysis mechanism occurring during sleep is inappropriately activated. The opposite of this situation (failure to activate this protective paralysis) occurs in rapid eye movement behavior disorder.
Narcolepsy – Signs and Symptoms
Top Rated Products
- Discount Dilantin online pharmacy, Buy dilantin with mastercard
- Buy Aponal from usa online, Aponal canada legit, Aponal to buy online
- Buy Cheap Chantix Online, Does chantix cause high blood pressure
- Buy Real Medrol Online, Cheap medrol with free shipping
- Buying Naltrexone Online, Naltrexone buy thailand